Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Home. We're home. But I miss home.


I woke up this morning (to Maddie calling me of course) and just wished I could sleep the day away, not only because I feel super sleep-deprived, but also so I wouldn't have to face reality. Withdrawl is no fun... I figured I could wallow in my misery. I tried the sleeping-in-thing, but Maddie would have none of it. She was crawling all over me by 7 a.m. and wanted me to get up and play. After breakfast I tried to entertain her but I could tell she missed the attention from her adoring fans. When it was finally nap time I thought maybe I could sneak a few extra winks and keep avoiding the call of duty... but no luck. I read my book in bed for a few minutes and right as I was falling asleep Maddie woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep. After we both shed a few tears I realized that not only was I making myself miserable, but I wasn't being a very good mommy either! So I finally got up, shook off my blues, and got to work.


Maddie misses the kitty. (This is a video.)

It's funny that on the very day I want to curl up and do nothing, I have a million things to do that can't wait. Like refill the fridge that's full of expired food so we can eat dinner. And wash the heaps of clothes from the long trip so we have something to wear. And organize the huge mess so I don't go crazy!!! And even though I wasn't looking forward to any of this it is actually somewhat cathartic, and now I feel a little better. I still miss you all soooooo much, but at least we have memories and pictures to fall back on.
Whenever I feed Maddie Spaghettios I will think of Emily doing the airplane with the spoon while Maddie squealed in delight. And when I push Maddie on her new princess bike I will think of everyone zooming her around the table! I think all three of us will miss cable--Maddie seemed to enjoy watching the games with Zak and Daddy. I love remembering Maddie perched on top of Noelle's tummy and wearing Cole's beanie. It was so sweet to turn around at the bowling alley and see Landon showing Maddie the Christmas tree. And who could forget Dana being beaned in the head with a shrimp? :) That dinner was so tasty and fun! Thanks for the treat Dad. And Mom, thanks for all you do to make our house a home, and for making Christmas magical every year. Like Dad said as we left, time with family is celestial.

What could it be?

Trumpet lessons

Playing beauty parlor with Grandma

Feeling Emrie move
Mike and his artistic shots
A last goodbye to the munchkin all buried in the backseat!


Lastly, just a couple of FYI's. I got my cholesterol results in the huge pile of mail we got yesterday. Drumroll please... 220!!! I don't know if it's from walking more or eating better or if it's even accurate, but I'm happy! (Two years ago it was 295 for those who don't know). At least now my doctor won't push Lipitor on me. And if you want to raise your cholesterol a bit, here's the recipe for that yummy quiche we had: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-Quiche/Detail.aspx. Print it off and put it in the breakfast section of your new cookbook!

Love you all,
Lauren

7 comments:

Jensen's said...

thanks sis. you are sweet and we really miss you too. I hated not being able to stay very long and that you guys got to play for a couple more days and i had to work. pooey. i am glad that i live closer to home... but we don't make it there that much more often. i wish that you lived closer so our kids could grow up playing together. i love you and miss you too!

Jensen's said...

the last comment was me.... dana! oops

Adam Jensen said...

So good to hear about your family fun! I know it's hard to leave! Glad you guys had a great time. I didn't know you had high cholesterol, good for you for lowering it, great job! Yesterday I took down all the Christmas decorations and it was sad :( especially taking down the Christmas tree.... no fun holidays for a while!
Rach

Anonymous said...

Oh Lauren! That was a bitter-sweet post! I loved all your memories and the cute pictures... but how sad that it is all over! I don't think I've had such a good vacation in a long time. Partly because it was so long and partly because we got to spend so much time with the Mads. I think she warmed up a lot to us and maybe will remember us next time. I can't wait to see you guys again in just a little while. I wonder how Maddie will react to a baby cousin? Don't worry... Emrie will never steal the thunder from that little girl! There is never a 1st grandbaby again. I hope they will be best buds! :) Love you soooo much and miss you too!

Anonymous said...

Hey sis I love the post...its definitely is good to have some pics to fall back on while I deal with withdrawals but pictures don't even begin to give the little bugger justice...although they are pretty cute! :) I miss you guys being around a lot :( Mom has just been taking down Christmas so to house is a wreck of stuff and yet so empty...:( I look forward to seeing everyone again soon but it seems that the visits are so long coming and then over before they begin. Well anyway now that i have written you a short novel I'm gonna go. I miss you lots and hope you are slowly recovering! I love you xoxo
P.S. could you send me the pics from the post with me in them...Elder C. would love to see them...plus any other cute ones of wittle Maddie, he hasn't seen a recent pic! Thank sis!

Lindsay said...

What a great blog, you guys! Maddie is so sweet and it's incredibly exciting that little Emrie will be making an entrance soon. I love seeing pictures of you all together; what a handsome bunch. I love and miss you all! I've got your blog bookmarked and so I won't miss a post. xoxo, Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Why isn't it letting us vote for the pink page stuff? I don't know if you knew it wasn't working! Well, I wanted to vote for the dots. I love it... it is sooooo cute! and perfect for the little nursery! :) Oh! And Zak likes the pink dots too!

LilypieExpecting a baby Ticker